funerals-blackpool-01253-853574 Wecome to Helen Ashmore - FAQ Section
Helen Ashmoure

funeral service


  • Q?

    Procedure to be followed after death

  • The procedure to follow after a death will depend on the circumstances surrounding the death. A Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death must be obtained from a Doctor. This Certificate will enable you to register the death and obtain the Death Certificate.

  • Q?

    When the death occurs at home

  • Inform the family Doctor as soon as possible that death has occurred. He or she may write out the Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death upon visiting the home, or request you to attend the surgery for this purpose.

  • Q?

    When the death occurs in a hospice or nursing home

  • The staff of the hospice or nursing home will inform you of the death of your loved one and will help you obtain the Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death. They will also be available to help you with advice until you contact us to make the funeral arrangements.

  • Q?

    When the death occurs in a Hospital

  • The hospital staff will inform the next of kin or named person of the death. The deceased will be transferred to the hospital chapel / mortuary. The general office will arrange for the Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death to be issued.

  • Q?

    When the death is referred to the Coroner

  • Sometimes the Coroner will need to be informed when a Doctor cannot issue the Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death. In these circumstances the Coroners Registrars Office will produce a certificate once the Coroner has determined the cause of death. This will be sent by the Coroners Office to the Registrars Office in the district where the death occurred allowing you now to register the death.

  • Q?

    Registering a death - Who may go to register?

  • If the person died in a house or a hospital, the death can be registered by:

  •     • A relative.
        • Someone present at the death.
        • An occupant of the house.
        • An official from the hospital.
        • The person making the arrangements with the Funeral Director.

  • Deaths that occurred anywhere else can be registered by:

        • A relative.
        • Someone present at the death.
        • The person who found the body.
        • An official from the hospital.
        • The person in charge of the body.
        •The person making the arrangements with the Funeral Director.

  • Most deaths are registered by a relative. The Registrar would normally only allow other people if there are no relatives available.

  • Q?


  • A stillbirth normally needs to be registered within 42 days and at latest within 3 months. In many cases this can be done either at the hospital or at the local register office.

  • Documents & Information you will need

  • Q?

    What Documents?

  • When registering a death you will need to take the following:

  •     • Medical Certificate of the Cause of Death (signed by a Doctor).

    And if available:

        • Birth Certificate.
        • NHS Medical Card.
        • Marriage / Civil Partnership Certificates.

  • Q?

    What Information?

  • You will need to tell the Registrar:

  •     • The person’s full name at time of death.
        • Any names previously used, including maiden surnames.
        • The person’s date and place of birth (town and county if born in the UK and country if born abroad).
        • Their last address.
        • Their occupation.
        • The full name, date of birth and occupation of surviving spouse or civil partner.
        • Whether they where receiving a State Pension or any other state benefit.

  • Q?

    Documents you will receive

  • If a post-mortem is not being held, the Registrar will issue you with:

  • • A Certificate for burial or cremation (called the “green form”), giving permission for the body to be buried or for an application for cremation to be made.
    • A Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8) issued for Social Security purposes if the person received a State Pension or benefits (please read the information on the reverse, complete and return it, if it applies).
    • A Bereavement Registration Form.

    If a post-mortem is being held to determine the cause of death and the deceased is to be cremated the Coroner will issue:

    • Form Cremation 6 Certificate of Coroner.

    You will be able to buy one or more Death Certificates at this time; these will be needed by the Executor or Administrator when sorting out the personal affairs.

    The Registrar will also give you a booklet called “what to do after a death.” This offers advice on probate and other administrative issues that will need to be completed around this time.

  • Q?

    Other things that need to be done

  • Not everything can be done straight away, particularly as this is a very difficult time for people to cope with, but it is important to:

    • Make sure everyone who needs to know is told.
    • Arrange to see the deceased’s Solicitor and read the Will as soon as possible, this will tell you if there are any special funeral requests and who the Executors are.
    • Start arranging the funeral.
    • Collect all the information and documents you will need.

  • Q?

    Arranging the funeral

  • We operate a 24 hours a day 365 days a year personal service. Our service to you starts as soon as contact is made by yourself, either by telephone or calling personally to our funeral home. If the deceased died at home, a Hospice or nursing home we recommend the conveyance of the deceased to our funeral home private chapel. In some cases the Coroner will require us to convey the deceased to the Coroner’s hospital chapel. 5 At a time to suit you the Funeral Director will either in your home or at our funeral home discuss all the options available in order to fulfil your personal needs and requirements for the funeral arrangements. A courtesy vehicle with driver is available if you need assistance with registering the death at the registrar’s office. We will take care of on your behalf all the necessary paperwork, liaise with doctors, hospitals, ministers, speakers, caterers etc as appropriate.

  • Professional fees and disbursements

  • Q?

    Professional fees

  • Professional fees are the charges under the control of the Funeral Director. These include Funeral Directors attendance to all arrangements, including completion of necessary documentation, delivery of the same by hand, telephone calls, home visits and personal supervision of the funeral, the provision of a hearse, a coffin suitable for either cremation or burial. The conveyance of the deceased to our premises, full preparation hygienic treatment and care of the deceased.

  • Q?


  • Disbursements are the charges paid out by the Funeral Director on behalf of the family while arranging the funeral.
    Examples of these are:
    • Cemetery fees.
    • Crematorium fees.
    • Doctors fees (if appropriate).
    • Parochial fees.
    • Ministers / speakers fees.
    • Obituaries / acknowledgements.
    • Flowers.
    • Order of Service sheets.
    • Catering.
    • Any additional extras that you may require.

  • Q?

    Help with funeral costs

  • We are not able to guarantee the availability of any social fund funeral payments as every family circumstance will differ.

    The social fund may make a contribution towards the cost of a simple funeral within the United Kingdom.

    This includes:
    • Conveying the deceased to our funeral home
    • Chapel if they died away from home but within the United Kingdom.
    • Cemetery fees or Cremation fees.
    • Contribution towards the fees of the Funeral Director
    • Doctor’s fees.

    You can get help with the cost of the funeral if you or your partner qualify for the following benefits or entitlements:
    • Income Support.
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
    • Pension Credits.
    • Housing Benefits.
    • Council Tax Benefit.
    • Working Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element.
    • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element.

    Benefit advice about Funeral Payments (Payable to the responsible person if in receipt of qualifying benefit) may be obtained from The Social Fund, Tel:0345 608 8545 during office hours and at

    For advice on Bereavement Benefit (this may be payable to the widow(er)/civil partner if the deceased was Male under 65 / Female under 60) Tel: 0345 608 8545.

    Any queries regarding pensions and Allowances can be directed to The Pension Service. Tel:0345 6060 265

    If the deceased was in receipt of a War Pension, you need to telephone the Veterans Agency on Freephone 0800 169 2277

    Check if there is any money available from:
    • Bank or Building Society accounts of the deceased.
    • Insurance Death Policies.
    • Charity Grants.
    • Payments made by a pension scheme or relative
    • (either yours or those of the deceased).
    • Savings you have in a bank or building society.
    • Premium Bonds.
    • National Savings.
    • Cash.

  • Q?

    Legal matters

  • When death occurs, it is very important to ascertain whether or not the deceased has left a Will. This may contain instructions regarding details of the funeral arrangements, a Will may be with a Solicitor or bank for safe keeping or amongst personal papers. It is advisable to consult a Solicitor at this time. The solicitor will be able to help with probate, take care of the many issues surrounding the deceased’s estate (including the Will, problems of intestacy, Grant of Representation, letters of administration etc). We are available to help you with advice; we can also recommend a Solicitors practice that on a daily basis can process and administer legal services associated with probate, estates, Wills and other related services.

  • Q?


  • A Hearse is provided to convey the deceased to the funeral as part of our service, however chauffeur driven limousines which can carry 7 passengers are available as extras and are charged on an at need basis.

  • Q?

    Staff and Bearers

  • We provide staff bearers on every occasion, families can also bear if requested.

  • Q?

    Viewing the deceased

  • Family members often request to see the deceased and pay their last respects in private. The Hygienic treatment, care and attending to the deceased is a priority whether viewing takes place or not. Viewing in our Chapel of Rest is via appointment only and you are welcome to spend as much time as you need to pay your respects. Close family friends will only be allowed to view on the specific request of the family.

  • Q?

    Coffins and Caskets

  • We provide you with a wide range of burial coffins and caskets and cremation coffins / caskets. The wood and materials used comes from renewable forests, managed on a sustained yield basis. We also supply environmentally friendly coffins these are alternatives to wood coffins made up of wicker, bamboo and wool.

  • Q?

    Floral tributes

  • Floral tributes are an important part of a funeral. We are happy to arrange these for you via local florists who will be pleased to help you choose from a wide variety of different styles, individual designs and seasonal flowers to suit your own personal taste. Flowers may be sent to our funeral home on the day of the funeral to accompany the hearse to the funeral. Afterwards at your request suitable flowers can be taken to a local nursing home, residential care home, family grave or Hospice.

  • Q?

    Newspaper notices

  • If you would like to place a death notice or acknowledgement in any local or national newspaper we will be pleased to assist you with the wording and placing of the notice on your behalf.

  • Q?

    Stationery / Printing

  • We are able to arrange printed personalised Order of Service sheets and cards to record those people who have attended the service and other printing requirements on request.

  • Q?

    Catering for Receptions after the funeral

  • We can arrange for you upon request, catering at various venues who are experienced in providing funeral buffets:
    • Local restaurants to accommodate large or small gatherings supplying hot meals or buffet style meals.
    • Outside catering to host the funeral buffet at your home or in a Church Hall / Village Hall.

  • Q?


  • At a funeral service music can help to reflect the character of the deceased as a reminder of their personality, taste and interests. A personal favourite piece of music can be uplifting and helpful to you at the funeral.

  • Q?

    Cremated remains

  • At the time of making funeral arrangements, it is not easy to realise the emotional benefit which can be gained by having somewhere to go, a place that you and your family can go back to, allowing you to pay your respects to your loved one. It has been acknowledged that this can help with the healing process after the funeral. The Funeral Director will assist in arranging the interment or scattering of ashes, as soon as possible, or after a period of reflect on and consideration. We can provide an urn or casket for interment in Cemetery, Churchyard or Crematorium Garden.

  • Q?


  • A memorial stone is not just a marker that is erected over a grave, it is a lasting symbol of remembrance, a way of paying tribute to a life now ended. We can arrange for new headstones and crematorium memorials. Existing memorials can be cleaned and extra inscriptions in the same style can be added. Please ask for details and a brochure.

  • Q?

    Charitable Donations

  • We will collect if requested donations for a charitable organisation of your choice, record the donations and forward them on your behalf. All donations are recorded.

  • Q?

    Special Requirements

  • If there is a special requirement or desire which will not compromise the dignity of the deceased or occasion please ask. For example:
    • Horse Drawn Hearse (white or black horses).
    • Motorcycle hearse.

  • International and UK repatriation

  • Q?


  • When a loved one dies abroad we can:
    • Arrange for the deceased to be repatriated back to the UK by air or sea.
    • Arrange all necessary paperwork with Consulates and Embassies etc.
    • Supply a zinc lined coffin for repatriation.
    • Provide all the hygienic treatments needed.

  • UK

  • When a loved one dies in the UK we can: • Arrange for the deceased to be repatriated to another country either by air or sea.
    • Arrange all necessary paperwork with Consulates and Embassies etc.
    • Supply a zinc lined coffin for repatriation.
    • Provide all the hygienic treatments needed.

    Repatriation to other parts of the UK can be arranged in our repatriation vehicles.

  • Q?

    Useful telephone numbers

  • Victoria Hospital Blackpool Bereavement Office
    Tel: 01253 303723

    Blackpool Registrars
    Tel: 01253 477177

    Fylde and Wyre Registrars
    Tel: 03001 236705

    Norbreck Bowling & Tennis Club
    Tel: 01253 852154 • Mob: 07803583637